Saturday, May 7, 2011

Reunion Recap: the Good, the Gorgeous and the Gay

Okay so I know you are all waiting with baited breath for stories about the reunion. Honestly it was pretty uneventful with the classmates being the same with the exception of kids (well some had kids in high school), spouses (well some had spouses in high school), jobs (well lots had jobs in high school), and tattoos (well some had those in high school too). Catch my drift?

There were however some changes. Our ASB president and one of our most lusted after athletes is now a successful hairdresser and teaches dance with his male life partner when he is not making several of my former classmates fabulous. That changed, but he is still one of the nicest guys I know.

The "outcasts" were seemingly normal, functioning and might I add pleasant to look at where in the past they wore black boots and sneers, instead wore black dresses and perfectly pink pouts.

Almost all attending were friendly and fun, though mostly staying with their familiar groups some mingling between them did occur. My most entertaining people watching of the night occurred between those who in high school never crossed each other's paths.

I found myself floating between groups and tables, much like I did in high school. Some conversations still haunted by the insecurities of the past and others met with a confidence of the present. Mostly I felt at peace with the person I have become and the woman I was able to present myself as.

The night did have a couple hitches, though minor, however I went in deciding that you can't make everyone happy all the time and I would do my best to enjoy my night no matter what. I did.

Oh and the very best part of the reunion? Knowing that I looked great, and being told so. Granted I didn't do much with myself as a teen. My wardrobe consisted of jeans, sweatshirts and ponytails with mascara and blush at best. Still the knowing that after 10 years, 7 as a wife, and 6 as a mother I have improved my looks really made me feel great. It seems silly and shallow, but dammit I am proud of that.

The reunion was a good thing. I am so glad that I went and even though it was a huge undertaking I am glad I planned it too (with LOTS of help). After seeing the past, knowing how it was and knowing where I am now I am proud of the person I have become, and no one there can make me feel differently. Will I go to another reunion? Absolutely. Will I plan another reunion? Absolutely not. ;P



PS: I know that I said there would be pictures. There will be as soon as I can get copies from my friends. My camera battery died (I know I was not a happy camper) so I am waiting on others for pictures from the night. I looked FAB. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment